Sunday, July 22, 2012

Hello friends, I know I have been absent for awhile but don't worry I haven't fallen off the wagon I've just been enjoying summer. Today hubby and I went to an Oil and Vinegar store and bought some yummy olive oil and balsamic vinegar to make our own dressing...I am so excited to try it on my hearty salad for lunch tomorrow.

I just started reading a book called "Cooking with Coconut Flour" by Bruce Fife N.D. that my Mom gave me to borrow. In the first several pages he says some interesting things that I did not know:
  • Most gluten-free products are high in carb, few gluten-free alternatives are gluten free and low in carb
  • Coconut flour is low in digestible carbs and full of fiber
  • Coconut flour is considered hypoallergenic because few are allergic to it
I found that info very interesting because I often find myself, like many others thinking that gluten-free is somehow healthier, just as we used to think that anything low in fat, or fat-free was healthier. I also have a paleo cookbook and an almond flour cookbook to look at from my Mom. When I am finished I will share my thoughts. I know many of you are getting away from the coconut and almond flour goodies because you feel they are too fattening. At this point I'm not sure what I think.

That's pretty much all for now, I want to get some more reading in before bedtime. I hope everyone has a wonderful day tomorrow. Big hugs :)

3 comments:

  1. I love all the flours, I just can't eat the muffin I was making with - almond and flaxseed flours together. I think it was just too fattening and I ca't seem to only eat 1/2 LOL.
    I do eat all of them still though. You know my opinion about gluten free. Let us know if you find any great recipes in those books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think coconut flour is excellent! It's the almond flour and flaxseed that I find makes high calorie foods. I love my coconut flour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be interested in knowing your take on everything! It has been awesome weather and I finally feel like it is summer!

    ReplyDelete