Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Hello friends, sorry I was a little MIA the past few days I was in a little post-holiday slump. Friday we didn't go anywhere hubby did homework all day, Saturday we watched the Apple Cup at the in-laws (the Apple Cup is a football game between the University of Washington Huskies and The Washington State University Cougars) hubby's team the Huskies won...yeah Dawgs!!! We did some celebrating that night off the bfc, I had two beers and bloody mary's, hubby had beer and screw drivers.

This morning I made a bfc friendly peppermint mocha flavored coffee, thank you Dawn for the inspiration. In a large mug of coffee 16 oz I added 1 Tbs coco powder, two truvia, 1/4 tsp peppermint extract and topped it with whipped cream DELISH. It's not exactly the same as a Starbucks peppermint mocha or the coffee-mate flavored creamer but it satisfies my craving for this seasonal drink. I am also loving the celestial seasoning candy cane lane tea and sugar cookie sleigh ride.

I am now wondering what to do about all the holiday baking and treats my friends and family make. While at my in-laws on Sat I showed my MIL my blog and was trying to talk to her about the bfc. She didn't seem very interested in either. My sis-in-law wants to do holiday baking together, which I don't want to do because I don't find it relaxing and to bake with others and because of the bfc I don't want to bake tons of sugar filled goodies. I am not sure how to handle this without hurting their feelings, I don't want to bake and I don't want a ton of sugary crap around.

I am glad everyone is loving pintrest, it is now one of my favorite sites and I look at it daily. I just want share that you need to be aware that sometimes there are some inappropriate images on there, today on the home page was an artsy black and white of a couple having sex, and the other day there was a pic of a man biting another man's naked butt. I am simply sharing my observations so you can be aware.

8 comments:

  1. Ahh--the holidays...the expectations. We all have so many emotions attatched to those days, and the foods associated with them.
    You're such a bright girl-you'll find a way through those sensitive landmines :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie. I was just thinking about the holiday baking today as I walked my dogs. In years past I baked hundreds of cookies and sent large trays into my husbands work, gave to family and friends. This year I think I will bake all the kinds I ususally bake, but not in such a large quanitity. I am not going to send the tray into work. They will be disappointed, but there has been such a large turnover of people at the hospital, that I don't think most of them will really know the difference. I think I'm going to chew gum when I bake too. Then I can't taste the batter. Thanks again for turning us all on to pinterest...well maybe it's not such a great thing as I can't stay off of it! Let me know how I can follow you. Hugs to you from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya Katie! I just posted a long comment on Patties blog about holiday baking. I used to bake alot...like 12 different kinds of cookies, and I would sent them out to my Drs office, dentist, work etc & 1 year I was "contracted" by a friend to make some cookies trays for her. I was really flattered & they were alot of work & I certainly didnt make any money on them, but it "fill my cup" to do things like that. But the temptation of having them around, sometimes its too much. I am going to be a very minimalist baker this year. My weight loss is more important than cookies. Its hard when you have people in your lives who dont "get it" when you are trying to lose weight. My best advice is, just tell them the truth. "I dont want to hurt your feelings but I am trying really hard to stay on track with my weight loss and I think that making cookies would derail my efforts". Believe me, I work with ALOT of "food pushers" who are always saying "you just HAVE TO try this"! Sometimes if I feel it is worth the pts, I will have 1 teaspoon of it but I am very choosy with what I indulge in & I tell them that "I dont want to offend you but I prefer not to." So far, its worked for me. I hope it can help you.
    Have a wonderful day!!!
    ((Sherri))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Katie...nice to have you back. :) I would totally be honest and then offer to do something else Christmasy with those people. Often times it is the experience of time spent together that is what people really want...so do a shopping trip or something with them instead. Or you could show them how to bake your kind of foods if you think they are open to that. No matter which way it is....just do what you have to do to get through. Its like quitting smoking. Quit means quit. If you can't be around it and not crave it, then just don't be around it. We are all here for you sweetie! Mucho luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Katie, Yeah I agree- just tell them that you don't want to bake. This is your life now and don't let the food bullies change your mind.
    Have a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No one ever mentions this, or I haven't seen it mentioned, but what about making some traditional recipes with the low carb flours that are out there. I think most recipes will be much better for us if we use Truvia and low carb flours?
    I say do what makes you happy unless it causes family strife! Family strife is not fun!
    I haven't seen anything inappropriate on pinterest yet. I love all of the ideas!
    Let's hope the Cougs get a great coach and the slump will be history:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I'd also go the route of making 'my kind' of cookies while she made hers. That being said, if you don't want to do it, just say no! If it sounds like a stressful time to you, just don't do it. They have got to understand that you just don't like to bake, and should be happy to do some other holiday tradition with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sweet Katie I just wanted to say thanks for your support. I have to say I will be a little glad when the holidays are over so we dont have to worry about all the goodies that seem to be all around. I am gonna have to give that mocha coffee a try. Thanks again for being such a great friend.

    ReplyDelete