Tuesday, March 22, 2011

11th Week BFC Day 1

Hello bfc friends, I wanted to share with everyone a book I am reading called the Fast Track Detox Diet by Ann Louise Gittleman. Before you get turned off by the word detox and think it is hokey just listen to what I am learning. Hubby and I are planning to do the detox next Sunday. We started preparing on Sunday March 20th except for a cheat cup of coffee, and cheese on my burger on Sunday.
Today was a rough day at work, I had bad cramps and felt cranky, my tummy is bloated and that discourages me even though I know it is not true weight. Poor hubby had a rough day too, he is now carpooling with a co-worker and the co-worker picks him up, today he left his keys at work, and I had to work late. Hubby was home at 5:30 and I didn't get off until 7:30...thankfully we live close to a cool pub so he was able to walk there and have a couple of beers.
I have also been having some issues the past couple of days being regular, TMI I know, but I'm wondering if anyone else has trouble during their period staying regular? I take benefiber and psyllium husks. I just read Lindsay's post about what she has been taking and I am thinking of trying that. I was so miserable this morning with my cramps and having trouble going...ahhh, I felt so frustrated pre-bfc I never had problems. Why does it feel like the bfc is more trouble than not doing the bfc? I am hoping doing the detox on Sunday will just give me that extra boost I need. I've done it before and I think if you do it right it is good for you, it's a great book and I first stumbled upon it at the library.
*11th Day Pilates
The Fast Track Detox Diet:
Weight loss and toxicity:
The more toxic our bodies get the more trouble we have losing weight. We are constantly surrounded by toxins, pesticides in our food and environment. Most people don’t get enough fiber to help get rid of the toxins in our bodies, previous generations consumed 20-30g fiber daily, now the average has dropped to less than 12g.
The one day detox
What makes this detox safe and effective is that you prepare your body. For a week before the detox you eat liver loving foods that our liver needs, our liver is our bodies major detox organ. You also eat colon caring foods to help prepare your colon to eliminate the waste. After the one day detox we continue with the liver and colon loving foods and also take in probiotics to support our system.
Our liver is our bodies filter and it neutralizes all sorts of substances. When our liver becomes stressed due to all the toxins it is exposed to it becomes bogged down and it can’t fully metabolize fat. If we aren’t getting enough fiber our colon has to work twice as hard to eliminate our waste.
Getting ready for the detox with the 7 day prequel:
Each day choose at least one liver-loving foods from each group
1.     Crucifiers: cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, broccoli, broccoli sprouts
2.     Green leafy veggies: parsley, kale, watercress, chard, cilantro, beet greens, collards, escarole, dandelion greens, mustard greens
3.     Citrus: orange, lemon or lime
4.     Sulfur rich foods: garlic, onion, eggs, daikon radish
5.     Liver-healers: artichoke, asparagus, celery, dandelion root tea, whey, nutritional yeast flakes
6.     Colon caring foods: psyllium husks, flaxseed, carrot, apples, pear or berries
7.     Drink lots of water
8.     Eat protein, and get 1-2Tbs olive oil, flax oil or woman’s oil.
Avoid:
1.     Excess fats, fried foods and trans fats
2.     Sugar
3.     Artificial sweeteners, including sugar alcohols
4.     Refined white carbs
5.     Gluten
6.     Soy
7.     Alcohol, and caffeine
8.     Mold
9.     Milk and cheese
For the one day detox:
Make a juice to drink all day. 2quarts cranberry water (8oz unsweetened cranberry juice to 56 oz water Knudsen, trader joe’s and organic mountain sun are good brands) Add 1/2tsp cinnamon, 1/4tsp ginger, 1/4tsp nutmeg to cranberry water, let it simmer 15-20 min…cool to room temp. Add 3/4c orange juice, 1/4c lemon juice 2 packets of stevia for a sweeter taste. Make sure to drink this throughout the day and lots of water.
To start and end the day take 1-2 tsp psyllium or flax meal mixed into the water or juice.
The 3 day sequel:
1.     Eat some probiotic food, such as yogurt or sauerkraut
2.     Day 2 take hydrochloric acid tablets before each meal to help with digestion
3.     Get the same amount of liver loving and colon loving foods as you ate during the 7 day prequel

2 comments:

  1. First let me comment on the Avoids column...Number 8 says Mold. Who eats mold? hehe!! The detox sounds interesting, but I don't know if I could not eat and just drink something. Might be hard even for one day. I do suggest the Super Cleanse, because its sorta like a cleanse for your system that is suppose to get out the bad waste and you follow for 30 days only. It has a probiotic as well in it and I really have noticed I got everyday now. More then once actually which hasn't happened before unless I drank coffee to help. No stomach pains or anything. Good luck with your trying of this detox. Let us know how it worked for you. And don't worry about the TMI...all of us have these issues and understand. That is why we blog, so we get advice and share experiences. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa Lindsay :-)

    Katie, yeah - good luck with the detox. Please let us know how it goes. Cranberry and orange juice are some things that I have not had in over a year since starting the BFC, too much sugar in them.

    Some of the avoid stuff we already do anyway - right? Should be easy.

    Have a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete